Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- The Xerox Corporation is very much in debt. They are trying to sell off their Palo Alto research park. This situation could eventually have implications on our contract with Xerox. Their cash flow problems are great and they must be stretched awfully thin to be selling off parts of the company.
- Kylix RAD tool for Linux - from the former company of BORLAND who created Delphi - it is Delphi for Linux. Could have a major impact on what comes out on Linux, and could affect us.
- PAULA - Geoffrey announced that the Health Science Center expressed an interest in purchasing PAULA for their in-office use. Geoffrey will have their IS contact, Mark Patrick, call Bill.
- 12 Optical Mice on order.
- Working on an order to upgrade PaintShop Pro to version 7.
- Server rack was picked up today for return to Dell.
- Resource Services Laptop - erroneously closed ticket referencing a barcode reader problem has surfaced. Discussion ensued about the trouble ticket viewer and the possibility of sending email to the user when a ticket is closed. It's possible that programming changes to the database could help to indicate when the ticket is closed. Would like to add a column that allows to sort by name. Should send an email to the Liaison List informing them of the existence of the ticket viewer and where to locate it. The trouble ticketing system archives closed tickets back to about 12 months, so you can't really view all of the old tickets without accessing the archives. Bill would like it to indicate how far back it goes before it archives.
- Liaison Meeting last Thursday - was relatively quiet, there was some discussion about mice drivers and Win2K. No issues were brought up and only one liaison ("Old Faithful") fell asleep. Meeting lasted about half an hour.
- Leilani invited Bill to PSICT tomorrow - 2:30 PM in West.
Software Projects Status
- DLC website - Suzy is working on it, trying to give them a more pleasing URL. Erich is putting all of his files on NT12, but the access point is NT8. Erich has some site-specific software for his operations - such as Mr. Sid, a file viewer that vectorizes graphics, that has to run on our server.
- Wiring - we have many projects ongoing at this time. Some are ahead of schedule, Digital has been quick to handle. Primarily the projects at the moment are: Journalism (on hold for closet), Teak Suite (front atrium is complete, the interior has not been started) and MSL room 215 (waiting for finalization of work station locations, need quote from Digital).
- Working to get the first servers for the Win2K conversion up - the security version and one for back up.
- Erich's Apache servers are ready.
- Office 10 is called Office XP (XP means "experienced").
- Stack wiring is in place - Digital needs to terminate the wires Brad pulled while pulling the electrical. Will Chaney will check on the status.
- John Ashcraft asked Winston to replace the timer program on the public machines at MSL since they were switching from Netscape to IE as their default browser. Winston has finished the task, it was a bit more difficult than anticipated.
- Ying is just about finished with the Web version of the Caribbean Newspaper project.
- Debra contacted Peter McKay and got the go-ahead to remove the business tapes from the tape collection. Will destroy the reel tapes and retain enough cartridge tapes (after erasing the data) to last a full year.
- Geoffrey out Feb. 8 & 9.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 19, 2001
by Debra Harris