Systems Staff Meeting Notes 11/13/00

Systems Staff Meeting Notes
November 13, 2000

Present: Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Martha Hruska, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Announcements
  1. Key fobs were distributed to Systems last Friday. We will still use the dead bolts for evening lock-up. Loading dock door will be the only entrance accessible by key fob once the dead bolts are thrown. There has been no recall for the Intellikeys yet. Winston reviewed the key fob database menu; we need verify that it is backed up on a server.
  2. We won the game, but not the lottery.
  3. Presidential election fiasco briefly discussed.
Review Minutes of 11/6/00
  1. Laptop bags - checked with Andy, he has not ordered them yet but will do so today.
Ongoing Systems Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. Dell order out. This order is to go to staff: Preservation, Resource Services, Collection Management. Bobbie has been working on an updated CPU list.
  2. Next order of Dells to go out in December will go to replace HS&S public machines. Would want to try to get them configured during the three week Christmas break. They want us to order a large number for them at once. We should get Gary Cornwell to commit to getting them configured over the break. We've had incidents in the past where new machines for the public area have remained unboxed for months. We ordered FP2K licenses for the classroom months ago & it still has not been installed on those machines.
  3. Barcode Readers - contact readers are much preferred. Need to try to swap out the long range ones that we have for more contact readers. Bobbie will alert Andy to check if this is possible.
  4. Wireless laptop to Special Collections - need to order another antennae. Will needs to get specs to Andy.
  5. Part for NT8 was received and given to Suzy. Not yet installed.
  6. Server for Net Agent on order.
Liaisons
  1. Training Session scheduled for Wednesday, November 15, 1:00-3:00 PM. Feedback on prior sessions has been positive.
  2. Debra put the training documents on the Systems web page. Looks good, prints nicely.
  3. May put a FAQ section from the sessions on the page at the conclusion of the training.
  4. May need one more training session in December or January.
Networking
  1. Jana has promised that the checklist for the Net Agent software will be ready this week. Training is scheduled for December 8. Suzy & Bill have been left out of the loop. The training that Bill & Suzy attended last week was not very technical unless you want to get in with HTML. It is not integrated with FrontPage. The software for the server should not be difficult to install. Checklist is: NT, Service Pack, IIS. Suzy learned that it is not good to advertise or market the Net Agent service until you are familiar with it - the agents get overrun. Suzy will talk to Jana tomorrow & has been invited to a planning meeting on Friday.
  2. Winston saw the specs for the Illiad server for ILL. No decision has been made yet on the purchase. Technically, it's not bad - it would replace the accounting system currently in use. Right now they use CLIO and our software. With Illiad, it would be more integrated with less chance of errors. Business Services would have to adapt to the new Illiad software. It is a costly venture - $5000 a year for the software. Would need to make sure that it would be compatible with Windows'98 client work stations.
  3. NT2 is doing fine.
  4. Public printing - should be hearing from Xerox soon. Public Services favor putting one print release station in West & one in Music. If they perform adequately then all stations will be converted.
  5. Proxy server - only one outage last week. Seems to have settled down.
  6. East rewiring RS/DLC - it is mostly done - punch down is scheduled for today. Phones on the second floor need to be pulled. More funds will need to be encumbered for this. Phones in Resource Services are currently pulled from the old phone wiring. Need to get an estimate on the phone pulls from Digital. Melody says the phones in the new DLC are currently not working. That problem should be referred to Facilities. New phone pulls will not be able to be funded until after the new year. DLC reports that they lost 2 CPUs in the move last week. We have no more of DLC's equipment here in Systems, except the new HP color printer that was originally intended for the Bookstore.
  7. Pulls in the Grand Reading Room - need to check with Digital.
  8. Education pulls scheduled for tomorrow.
Software Projects Status
  1. DLC, FilmLog & FULoader - no change.
  2. Facilities Access Inventory - Winston talked with John, but needs to confer with Russ as well.
  3. Org Chart project - Cynthia is looking for ways to display it. It is based on the Personnel database.
  4. Personnel label database - still looking at different ways to get it to print correctly.
  5. IRDB changes still underway.
DP Coordinator
  1. Andy was out sick all last week. He's now behind in his classes and needs to cut back on his hours at work. Will try to pin him down to 2 days a week. May need to have a staff member review the ordering process to keep informed.
  2. Student staff - ad placed for a desk student to take Jorga's place. Not too hopeful of hiring in the middle of the semester.
Calendar
  1. Will & Hilton both out Nov. 20-22 & 27.
  2. Martha out Nov. 22, afternoon.
  3. Geoffrey out November 22.
  4. Bobbie out November 27.
  5. Cynthia out Dec. 1, 8 & 15.
  6. Bobbie out Dec. 1, 4, 8, 11, 15, 18, 22 & 26.
  7. Martha out Dec. 7-8.
  8. Debra out December 20-27.
  9. Martha out Dec. 26-Jan. 2.
  10. Bill returns on Jan. 8.


Back to the Systems Homepage

Last updated November 20, 2000
by Debra Harris
debharr@mail.uflib.ufl.edu