Systems Staff Meeting Notes 11/6/00

Systems Staff Meeting Notes
November 6, 2000

Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Martha Hruska, Bobbie Meng, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Announcements
  1. We still didn't win the lottery.
  2. Art show was great this weekend.
  3. This Friday is the Veteran's Day/Homecoming holiday. The Libraries will be closed.
  4. Election Day is tomorrow - vote!
Review Minutes of 10/30/00
  1. Networking #2 - instead of moving the files from NT2 to NT7, they will be moved to a new server.
Ongoing Systems Updates
Equipment Received/Installed/Repaired
  1. A new order of 20 Dells has gone out. Since we've updated the CPU list, we're working on a new distribution list.
  2. Barcode readers - will check on user's verdict this week.
  3. Wireless laptops - one has been distributed to Resource Services. The one for Special Collections has not been distributed yet. Need to order an additional wireless network card and two wireless antennas. Will will alert Andy.
  4. Bags for laptops? Don't think they've been ordered yet, will check.
  5. SCSI card for NT8 was received & distributed to Suzy at the end of last week.
  6. Scanner in Documents needs to be replaced. Will alert Andy.
  7. Delco audio cables ordered for John Ashcraft in MSL arrived - but they were the wrong ones. Need to have Andy return them. Bobbie & Geoffrey did not get copies of the order from Andy.
  8. The order for a Net Agent server went out to Dell. Suzy and Bill leave for Net Agent training in Atlanta this week.
Liaisons
  1. The second training session takes place this afternoon, 1-3 PM. We'll get feedback via a survey we'll email out to them.
  2. Martha attended an I&R user meeting at NERDC. The main topic was a UFCN & CIRCA Computer Challenge concept. Could be an option for our staff. It has two levels, one for non-techies, one for info-tech providers. There are CORE courses plus electives. General or special certificates are given upon completion. Martha would like comments on the proposal of courses for library staff.
Networking
  1. Illiad server may be needed for ILL, from OCLC. Winston has the specs for it. ITS, SQL, NT4 components are needed. Winston will try to call USF where it is implemented. The server it would reside on is the smallest portion. Will need to discuss with Bill - there are security issues on Web based function. This is currently only a possibility; will need to know what the impact on our system would be.
  2. NT2 is just fine now - Will freed up 3 GIG of space by moving the Resource Services folders to NT9.
  3. NT11 - was intending to move more folders off NT2 to it, but may not need to now.
  4. NT5 in MSL - Service Pack 6 upgraded; Will added John Ashcraft and Michael Howell to the domain administrators.
  5. Proxy server - one outage last week at peak time, restarted.
  6. Cataloger's Desktop is done.
  7. East rewiring has been started. Bobbie has been checking on Resource Services (2nd/3rd floors). Date of DLC move is still unknown. Erich wrote up a new scenario as to what they want last week.
  8. Fiber feed moved last Tuesday to 2nd floor East Com Closet.
  9. Resource Services 2nd floor plugged up on Friday, only 2 machines are left on the old wiring. Should be completely off old switches by tomorrow. Digital should have the wire pulled in room 300 by Wednesday.
  10. Server Room - on the list to-do with carry forward funds. Will order two new servers.
  11. Library West - room 148 & 100 wiring - not urgent, but they're on Hubs -could use FCLA funds (which last until June). Need to work around public schedules - maybe Christmas.
Software Projects Status
  1. Film Log - Preservation is looking at it. Cathy Mook did a demo of it in the East Conference Room.
  2. DLC Registry & FULoader are pending outside forces.
  3. Facilities read-only access to inventory was demoed to Bill Hanssen. He was pleased with it - project complete.
  4. Facilities Access inventory program on a 133 - we need to ask them what the situation is with that database. They need to have a backup on our servers. Winston will contact them.
  5. IRDB - Hilton has another change to make for Bobbie - he'll have to take the database down for a couple of hours.
  6. AFA - requested a second Web database: Building Construction Senior Reports.
  7. Personnel - requested a label list database. They get a lot of requests from other departments wanting to use their labels. Ying is looking to do it through the Web rather than installing on individual user's machines.
DP Coordinator
  1. Our student, Jorga, is no longer working with us - she had to drop out of classes. Debra is looking for a replacement, but it is a hard time of year to find a student capable of filling in her specific hours.
Calendar
  1. Suzy out November 6-10 (Net Agent Training in Atlanta).
  2. Will & Hilton both out Nov. 20-22 & 27.
  3. Martha out Nov. 22, afternoon.
  4. Geoffrey out November 22.
  5. Bobbie out November 27.
  6. Cynthia out Dec. 1, 8 & 15.
  7. Bobbie out Dec. 1, 4, 8, 11, 15, 18, 22 & 26.
  8. Martha out Dec. 7-8.
  9. Debra out December 20-27.
  10. Martha out Dec. 26-Jan. 2.
  11. Bill returns on Jan. 8.


Back to the Systems Homepage

Last updated November 13, 2000
by Debra Harris
debharr@mail.uflib.ufl.edu