Present: Rich Bennett, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Geoffrey Stewart, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Martha Hruska will be in charge of the Systems Department during Bill's Leave of Absence. Staff meetings will continue to be held - as will Liaison and Middle Managers. Martha will chair Middle Managers, but she has a scheduling conflict with the Liaisons timeslot. Whoever is appointed temporary chair will have to send out the meeting reminder. Systems staff will have full phone contact and access to Martha.
- Bill notes that there are great peripheral prices on items for home computers right now: 20 Gig HD at Best Buy - Maxtor for $120, CD Write Once - 30 Gig - $15, CD read/write 8x4x32 - about $200 (internal only). Memory and other items are available at really good prices.
- Barcode readers received.
- Work station status: Dell station is hung up somewhere, Winston is checking on it.
- Bill is clearing out his old trouble tickets and he encourages everyone to do the same, as Martha likes detail.
Software Projects Status
- Classification Plus & Cataloguer's Desktop license expired a week early. Bill is working to fix it.
- North Tower - Will saw Tim on Thursday. The wiring job is on hold for some reason and Digital was anxious. Will is going to check on this.
- Conduit - money is now available, Facilities will purchase and install. Digital will be back - need to coordinate with Judy.
- Employee-Patron Update blew up. A special request to Hilton was to take the 9 & 10 month faculty off the list. Tigert said the list should be cleaned up this week. Exchange/Access Services is still doing some A&P manually requested faculty status.
- Dean's Menu - will be handled by Suzy & Debra in Bill's absence. Dean's Menu relates to other things - CMS may go away, which will affect how we do our batch submissions. It is scheduled to go away on the first of March - we'll try to move utilities to Unix. TSO is too expensive. We received a request to cancel Ed Teague's VM account from NERDC.
- Ying had a meeting with Erich & Stephanie - they have many new requests. Ying & Winston may reschedule their meetings with Erich for every other Tuesday instead of every Tuesday.
- Items sent to West via mail - leave slips, packing slips, etc. - seem to not be arriving at their intended destinations. Bill will investigate.
- All students except for Jorga are out this week.
- Debra out today & tomorrow.
- Bill's last day will be August 22.
- Labor Day Holiday - Mon. Sept. 4.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated August 22, 2000
by Debra Harris