Present: Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Ying Tang
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Bobbie's youngest granddaughter will be one year old today. She recently came in first place in her pony riding competition.
- Winston had a very enjoyable vacation in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He went water skiing and got up on one ski! He also played roulette at the casinos, but did not win any money.
- We've got a temporary hire for Everett's position. His name is Geoffrey Stewart. We're waiting for Personnel to contact him, but the hire is in process. He has Novell & Apple experience. He needs two weeks to give ample notice to his current job.
- The new computer programmer position has been posted. Should be closing this week.
- LMG Recap - It was a fairly momentous meeting - much budget detail, kept carried forward. Dale called it the, "most terrific budget she's ever seen".
The Libraries are set to do some extensive self-study. A retreat is scheduled for September/October. LMG will be the starting point. Baseline services will be discussed.
Building money has been approved. Planning is slated for July 1, 2001-2002. The actual building process is to occur in 2002-2003. It will be a 3-5 floor building on the back end of Library West. West itself will undergo extensive remodeling. The staff will be temporary relocated. The only restriction on the building is the elevator shaft. Of course, most of this rides on whether the University is able to keep the current Interim President. A new player to the position could change the current vision. It's far from a sure thing, but more likely than ever before.
A new name for the Library-wide system has been chosen. It is 'Rosetta' - Barbara Hood was the winner of the naming contest. LUIS will be kept for another year.
Development report from Marcia - we're doing better than ever. Have received $600, 000 in matching funds and lots of collection gifts. Travel money - allocations slated for change in the upcoming fiscal year. There will be three ALA conventions next year, so the budget will have to move up by 50%.
LMG has been reduced to a quarterly meeting schedule.
The rumor has been confirmed as true - Carolyn Allen will be leaving in September for Arkansas to work as the Director of Libraries at a smaller institution. In addition, she will be out on vacation for the month of August.
- Single point of failure reduction - will need to examine all that Bill does and make sure that we have a backup person established while he is on leave of absence in the fall. Bill would also like us to try and come up with a list of tasks that we do as a Systems staff member that is exclusive to us & try to schedule some time to let other people know how to do it so we can have plenty of cross training/backup.
- We'll be ordering a new server to isolate/insulate DLC from the rest of the world. It will be known as SmathersNT11, a Dell 4400 series. Resources Services has been losing access when DLC starts having server problems on NT9. The new Mac in DLC that is used with their Digital camera has been having lots of trouble with file transfers on NT9. Macs are notorious for crashing NT servers.
- The last order of PDA's has been received - the coveted blue ones. They have yet to be distributed.
Software Projects Status
- Attack on Linux box in Documents - we received security messages from NERDC indicating it was hit by a hacker in France. It's used for buffer overflow for the POP server - it runs as nobody and has no permissions, so luckily nothing bad happened. We killed it off as the POP server and Tom Minton will install Red Hat 6.2 on it.
- Novell/CD is currently in the process of conversion to NT. Will has a few bugs to work out.
- West & MSL wiring is complete.
- The wireless system was installed on Friday. Will still needs to mount & connect the antennae. Should be in place sometime this week.
- Need to relocate the servers in the Teak Suite - John Ingram is moving into the office where they are currently housed.
- Branch wiring will start when Digital returns from their work in the Chemistry department.
- Preservation Q&A replacement - is still on hold for the transfer of the permanent data - they've made a few more modifications. Winston has given them three weeks to exercise the database.
- Registry migration to SQL server - has been transferred to Winston. The first phase is complete.
- Personnel - Melody has reported an OPS emergency with the database. Winston will confer.
- Library Statistics - phase one is complete, form one is done. It has been tested in several places including the Health Center. Jack has requested forms 4 & 5. Winston is now handling this as well.
- LASSIE mods finished, a few more changes may need to be made in the future - but it's low priority.
- The technical version of VISIO has been received for visual feature on the wiring database.
- Ying will be taking over the DLC Web interfaces - Access migration and XML markup.
- Gerald Langford has a number of major microform records to load into LUIS via FTP. He needs some MARC tags changed either before or after the records load. Hilton is working on this.
- Students will be returning from the intercession break on Tuesday, July 5.
- Hilton out July 3.
- Independence Day is July 4.
- Will out to NT school July 5-7.
- Rich out July 5-25.
- ALA is July 7-11.
- Bobbie out July 10-21.
- Debra out July 13.
- Will out July 24-28.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated July 3, 2000
by Debra Harris