TECHNICAL SERVICES STEERING COMMITTEE

Minutes

February 24, 2004

 

 

Members Present:  Rich Bennett, Bill Covey, Michele Crump, Martha Hruska, Erich Kesse, Tom Minton, Cathy Mook, Lawan Orser, Betsy Simpson, Phek Su, and Naomi Young

 

 

1)            TMT & Systems – Bill Covey

 

·         TMT

§         The windows work in Special Collections will be completed this week.

§         The vending machines currently beside Library West will be moved in front of the fence in front of Library West.

§         New acquisitions and binding will be sent directly to ALF.

·         Systems

§         Nothing to report at this time.

 

2)            Budget Update – Michele Crump

 

·         Materials budget - $350,345.74.

·         March 15, 2004 is the cut off date for new domestic monograph orders.

·         The books for UF financial transactions are still slated to close May 15th

 

3)            Aleph  – All

               

·         May 3, 2004 is still the Aleph STP deadline.

·         The Subset 5 test load (originally expected Friday, February 13th) is still in process and therefore the data review for this subset has not been possible.

·         The NOTIS catalog is still anticipated to freeze on April 1st.

·         At the end of January FCLA started a full test load of our data in the UF Reports server  (as opposed to UF Production or UF Test), which will provide a good indication of how long it will take to do the final production load. The status of this load is unknown at this time.  The Steering Committee is schedule to attend an update at FCLA on Thursday that will include an update on the status of the full test load.

·         The Steering Committee and functional training groups are making good progress toward developing descriptions for the Aleph training that will be offered.  Trudi DiTrolio and Jan Swanbeck will take the lead in putting together the calendar for the sessions. Functional training will be held in April and May.

·         A library wide Aleph 101 review session will be offered the last two weeks in March.  The session will not be mandatory however managers could make it mandatory for their respective departments.  Managers will be polled to see how many will need to take this class.

·         Within the next few days Rich Bennett will distribute a worksheet to help define the initial level of permissions required for the different functional areas in order for staff to get user names and passwords.  Initially, proxy sets of permissions will be established as opposed to a complete set of permissions established for each staff member.  Permissions will initially be set up in the Production region.

 

4)            Gap/Freeze plans – all

 

·         In a meeting with FCLA last Friday it was discovered that all current functions including cataloging could continue in NOTIS during the freeze.  Files would be saved to a server for later migration into Aleph.  Michele Crump and Betsy Simpson are attending the Public Services Committee (PSC) meeting tomorrow to discuss this option.

·         It has been recommended that areas outside of Resource Services not create provisional records during the gap/freeze.

·         The A-Team (combination of the old Library Binding Committee and the old Serials Operations Committee) met on February 19th.  Binding procedures during the gap/freeze were discussed.  There was also discussion of the redirect plan for materials going to EBSCO from Blackwell. The team will meet again in March.

 

5)            Re-class project – Lawan Orser

 

·         The first pass was completed on February 15th with 22,378 records being processed.  Six percent of the materials could not be located on shelves.  Half of the six percent (652 volumes) were in circulation or recently returned but not shelved.  The whereabouts of the other half (720 volumes) could not be accounted for in LUIS.  This week a second search is being conducted in LAD for circulated volumes that have since been returned.  Lawan anticipates this will be finished by the end of this week.

·         Direction is being sought from the Public Services Council (PSC) as to what location code should now be assigned to the “main, 900.”  37,870 copies in location code “main,900” are still in Dewey.  Rich Bennett suggested waiting until Aleph migrates.  At that point these materials could be migrated to whatever Public Services chooses.  The “main,900” location code is causing problems with printing spine labels.  There are eighteen active serials titles currently in the main 900s collection.  At present, new volumes/issues received will be classified as Dewey and sent to storage.

 

5)            CAGER – Naomi Young

 

·         Naomi provided a report about the last CAGER meeting.

o        Minimal record guidelines were discussed.  Will make it clear in the guidelines that this is an automated make records process.

o        Individuals who previously opposed uncontrolled subject headings did not realize that they were in a different index than the authorized headings.  These individuals want the guidelines to clarify that it is machine generated cataloging and make clear which fields are required versus optional.

o        FCLA will host the CAGER web pages.  Jim Michael will work with Tennile to get the completed pages mounted at FCLA, while any draft or temporary pages will still be available through Jim’s pages at USF.  Links to the guidelines will need to be updated once the new URLs at FCLA become available.

o        The need for recommendations specific to the different projects and formats of materials was also discussed.  Since some of the projects may require series and other information not common to all the projects, it will be helpful if each project that has such distinctive requirements have information about those requirements available through the CAGER web pages.

o        The availability of the LTQF titles after Aleph migration was discussed.  The plan is to extract the records from LTQF and load them into Aleph periodically, with the cataloging and maintenance continuing to be done using NOTIS in LTQF until all institutions migrate.  Eventually the LTQF database would migrate to Aleph also and the NOTIS LTQF would end.  However, the loading of Aleph for UF upon migration may not be immediate due to the pressures FCLA will be under at that time to bring up the other schools.  

 

6)            TOC enhancements - all

 

·          Phek Su has been looking at the commercial cost for TOCs and discovered it is .75 per record.  She estimated the cost for 1990-2004 would be approximately $180,000.  Martha Hruska will talk with the other directors about the availability of funds for this calendar year.

 

7)            Library web – Tom Minton

 

·         Redevelopment for the libraries web site continues.  Tom Minton has been meeting with various units and collecting feedback.

·         Another design (based on UF homepage) for the homepage was put up today.  Tom asked that everyone take a look and provide him with feedback.

·         The draft templates are not available for staff use at this time.

 

8)            DLC update – Erich Kesse

 

·         Aerial Florida is about to go public.  Erich will send out the URL.

·         Ephemeral Cities is moving ahead. Erich may present Mark’s project demo at the March 23rd meeting.

·         Switzland sent 4000 photos documenting life in Southwest Florida that will be loaded soon.

·         Erich will send out the slides for the presentation he is presenting at Web Wise next week.