Retirements provide a wonderful opportunity to recognize employees who have contributed many years of service to the Libraries. Below is a list of tips for department chairs and others responsible for organizing a retirement celebration.
- Notify the Employee Recognition Committee at the beginning of the planning process. A total of $350 is available for each retirement party for food and a gift for the retiree. No more than $100 of the $350 can be spent on the gift. Any total amount spent over $350 will not be reimbursed. If more than one person is purchasing for the event, be sure to communicate and coordinate expenses. If $350 is deemed insufficient, consider taking up a collection for a gift.
- Honors for the retiree might include the following. The department chair or division director send forward recommendations.
- Retirement party
- Check the Libraries' home page for event listings for conflicting events. However, not all events are listed on the home page.
- Reserve the room for the event through your Outlook calendar.
- When you send the invitation, remember there are retirees who might like to join the festivities. Contact the Admin Office to send to retirees.
- Contact Barbara Hood, director of communications, in advance if you need a photographer.
- Party equipment (e.g., drink dispensers) is available for your use. Check with the Admin Office about using items stored in the Smathers kitchen.
- The Employee Recognition Committee maintains a supply of paper goods (plates, cups, napkins, utensils) for retirement parties. Contact the committee to arrange for pick-up.
- Receipts for food and decorations should be submitted to the Admin Office. Please use the Employee Recognition Committee's Reimbursement Form and specify the name of the event on the paperwork. The library has an account with Publix through which purchases may be made. This avoids a cash outlay by your group but does require the presence of an authorized library employee when making the purchase to pay for the food.
- Please note that in order for expenses to be reimbursed, purchases must comply with UF policies, which restrict some types of purchases. For example, only beverages in the Pepsi product line may be purchased with library funds for functions such as retirement parties because of an exclusive licensing agreement between UF and Pepsi Co. If you have any questions about purchases, please contact the Employee Recognition Committee.
- The retiree gift is determined by the department. Cash gifts, including gift cards, are not reimbursable.
- Adding a personal touch is always a hit with the retiree - consider the following ideas: a memory book for guests to sign, a slide show or photo album, a framed photo of the department.