Minutes from IR Implementation Group for December 16, 2005
Present: Cathy Martyniak, Carl Van Ness, Jingfeng Xia, Priscilla Williams,
Approved meeting minutes from November with minor changes in attendance portion.
Attempted to define functional specs for our IR.
- Began with a discussion of IR at other institutions.
- Discussion of whether to import Authority info from Aleph.
- Reviewed metadata element list to refine as appropriate.
- Everyone was tasked with reviewing the “Type” data element and reducing it to a list of around 10 items.
- Discussion of how “Author” information is stored. Should only UF Authors be stored? Agreed that multiple authors need to be input individually.
- Discussion of “Audience” field.
- Discussion of “Affiliation”. Still an optional, repeatable element. This will refer to the affiliated departments or units at the time of publication. If Authors change affiliations, that information will not be captured until / unless Authority information is incorporated into the IR.
- “Keywords” information to be included for documents which are not OCR-able.
- Consideration of whether to collapse Abstract and Keywords fields.
- Decision was made that we want two versions of the metadata-gathering tool. One for public users and one for library staff. Staff version will have more options and details. Public user version will be simpler to encourage submissions.
- Confusion over the meaning of “Access Restrictions”. Cathy will clarify with Stephanie.
- Discussion over how to authenticate public users who are to submit materials to the IR. Who will be allowed to submit items?
Next meeting scheduled for January 13, 2006.
Return to Main IR-IG page