Quarterly Meeting with Directors
June 12, 2007
Library West Conference Room 429
Members Present: Bill Covey, Denise Bennett, Trudi DiTrolio (facilitator), Paul Losch, Iona Malanchuk, Carol McAuliffe, Nelda Schwartz, Jim Stevens, Jay Wiese, Naomi Young
Guests Present: Dean Judith Russell, Michele Crump, John Ingram, Haiyun Cao
Members Absent: John Freund, Brian Keith John Van Hook, Ben Walker
- This was the last meeting of the CMC group as it stands.
- The next meeting will be comprised of new CMC representatives.
- The Library Convocation will be August 15. There will be a special competitive event for the Directors.
- The Education Library has now re-opened, after a fire on Friday, June 8. Most of the damage was contained to the east side of the building.
2. The new Dean, Judy Russell, sat in on this meeting. The following questions/comments were posed:
- Status of Searches: The Search Committee for the position of Chair of Special and Area Studies has made its recommendations, an offer has been made, and a final decision is awaiting response.
- Strategic Planning: The Directors will be meeting to discuss strategic planning for next year. The plan is to employ an Interim Director for Public Services until after planning is finished.
- 07-08 Budget: Next year’s budget is not final. Any requests for funding will be delayed until a budget is finalized. It is unclear when the last half of staff pay increases will take effect.
- Iona requested that Dean Russell provide feedback to staff from her meetings with Department Deans. Dean Russell agreed to do so.
- Outlook Changes: A request was made to change the group label “All Library Staff” to “All Smathers Library Staff” so as to prevent confusion. Bill Covey agreed to differentiate tags.
- As of now, the incoming Dean of Medical Library will not report to Dean Russell. However, this may change in the future, and the incoming candidates are aware of that possibility.
- The book budget will hopefully roll out in August.