. RS Migration Group Minutes

Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

RS Migration Group Minutes

May 13 , 2004

The group celebrated its third anniversary and the arrival of STP on May 10! We were also fortunate to have Daniel Cromwell participate in the meeting.

Week 1 issues
Acquisitions
Michele explained that the Acquisitions data - vendor codes, payment info, budget codes, and active orders - will be loaded in early June after FY04 is closed out in NOTIS. Current unspent funds equal $13,000.

There is no need for monograph catalogers to input NOTIS numbers on Aleph records to maintain a link between the closed out order in NOTIS and the bib in Aleph. However, it is important that a link be created between the serial open orders and bibs. Michele and others will be working with FCLA to make sure proper links are in place and to deal with other details of the load process.

Cataloging
Betsy announced that the Cataloging Trainers Group has a series of meetings scheduled during the first two weeks after STP to discuss cataloging related problems. Overall,the trainers feel positive about the transition, reporting that the questions they have been receiving are straightforward and easily addressed. Naomi said that some serial questions have been somewhat difficult to answer.

The following are examples of issues arising during Week 1:

Validation reports - The validation tables are still being customized. Bib and authority validation concerns should be directed to Gerald and holdings validation concerns to Naomi.

Deleting item, holding, and bib records - The trainers are developing a guide for staff about deletion.

Overlays - The trainers are investigating reports of duplicate records being brought in through the OCLC loader when the cataloger intended to overlay an existing record. Also, there is confusion about the use of OWN codes and what role, if any, they play in preventing overlays.

Rich explained that there are two sets of OWN permissions. One OWN permission determines the OWN code assigned when a particular cataloger creates a record in Aleph. The other OWN permission assigns editing access. In other words, a cataloger's permission set up can specify that records created by that cataloger receive the UF OWN code, but that same cataloger can edit records with any OWN code. Daniel further elaborated that the OWN code is assigned when a record is loaded through the OCLC server either by the port used to load the record or via the 049 code on the record. He commented that GenLoad should provide overlay safeguards where the OCLC loader does not.

Currently, we have one OCLC port for loading Smathers, Law, and Health records. While there is a limit to how many ports we are allowed, it is possible we could have a port for each OWN code. The existing OWN codes include UF (Smathers), ML (Maps),UD (Documents), UI (IFAS), CA (Coastal Archives), HB (Herbarium), PI (Plant Industry), LL (Law), LF (Law), HC (Health), JX (Jacksonville Health). Betsy asked about the possibility of reducing the number of OWN codes by converting the ML and UD OWNs to UF. Naomi cautioned such a change might cause inappropriate overlays, particularly Marcive records overlaying Smathers records. Betsy will contact Mary Ann O'Daniel about the Marcive loader and eliminating some OWNs.

Cecilia emphasized, and the group agreed, that catalogers should use the system number to overlay records via the OCLC loader. When no record exists in Aleph, catalogers should create a provisional and use the system number to overlay or make certain the record they are loading is not already present in Aleph. [Subsequent to this discussion, the OCLC number was eliminated as a matchpoint through the OCLC loader to prevent inadvertent overlays.]

Foreign approvals - In order to alert patrons and staff regarding the status of individual foreign approvals, the trainers decided that students deriving OCLC copy and creating provisional copy should create item records.

Public Services - Some issues seem important to share with Public Service staff. Rich recommended sending himthe information, and he will distribute as needed. Examples include:

Duplicate holdings on serials added in the early 1980's (Lambda project) cause repetitive display. Naomi has contacted FCLA about the possibility of programmatically removing the duplicative data.

Brief Recs do not accurately reflect the library's holdings - Rich said this may be due to the hurried rerunning of Brief Recs shortly before STP. It may be necessary to close the 01 library to rerun Brief Recs again to correct the problem.

TUT (Uniform Title) search is misleading. Nancy commented that the TUT search does not include 440s and, as a result, should be searched using the SRS search. The TUT index won't be fixed until FCLA regens the indexes.

Cataloger notifications - The trainers are trying to establish an effective means of notifying catalogers about policy decisions and procedural details during this transition period. The thinking is to create a Web site to archive e-mail notifications. Martha mentioned the idea of using a wiki.

Permissions
Rich reported that for STP he set up four temporary permission levels designed to facilitate the broadest possible functionality for staff while maintaining some amount of reasonable restriction. Over time permissions tailored to individuals and to groups of staff will be established.

Item sorting
Problems associated with item sorting are related to how item data was loaded during migration. FCLA is working on an SQL program to clean-up the data as much as possible, but manual work will be necessary also. Michele will check on the status of the clean-up efforts. Not only is the item sorting creating difficulties for staff workflow, but also Martha reported that she has heard negative comments from Public Services.

New Books List
Cecilia mentioned a new books feature in the Web OPAC that was pointed out in Aleph 102. To access the feature, the user has to sign on, do a subject search, then filter the search using the New Records filter. The system provides the user with new titles added to the system within a specified period of time. Cecilia wondered how the system determines which titles are "new" and whether this methodology could be used to create a New Books List. In addition, depending on the criteria for "new" titles, Cecilia wondered if this feature would lead to rush requests for material that is not readily available. Rich said he would talk to Denise about it.

STP checklist
Betsy announced that she received a copy of University of Minnesota's Technical Services STP checklist from a colleague there, which she will forward to the group.

RS Migration Group charge
The group discussed the need to revisit the charge now that STP has taken place. Tasks needing to be addressed include loader development, reports implementation, training and workflows, and post-STP clean-up. Betsy will send a revised charge to the group. Martha suggested that in six months the group could reassess and possibly continue to meet on a less frequent basis.

Server overload
Daniel asked that staff use caution when running services in Production. ret-01 can be particularly resource intensive. When the Reports Region becomes available for running reports, overloading the server will be less of an issue.

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 10, 10:00-11:30, Library East Conference Room.

Tasks:
Continue to work on post-STP transition issues (All)
Draft revised RS Migration Group charge (Betsy)
Work with FCLA to address item sorting problems (Michele, etc.)
Begin to draft STP checklists (All)




Prepared by: Betsy Simpson, June 2, 2004

 

University of Florida Home Page