Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

TS Aleph Implementation Group Minutes
March 10, 2005

Acquisitions update

Michele reported that the Aleph-PeopleSoft invoice interchange is working.  The Paying Unit only does one input of data in Aleph and the information migrates to PeopleSoft as desired.  Jack Waters conducted a training session with Health and Law on March 3.

Suzanne noted other Acquisitions related progress with macro development and vendor processing.

Item record material type

Rich distributed a handout showing two examples of circulation reports based on the item record material type: 1) loans, renewals, holds, and returns for each material type by Sublibrary 2) loans, renewals, holds, and returns for each item status by Sublibrary.  The group discussed whether having more material types would be beneficial for reporting purposes and decided a first step for answering that question would be to gather information about how our current material types migrated and are being applied.  Betsy offered to send an e-mail to the group soliciting input. 

Cecilia pointed out that ARL requests circulation statistics by specific formats.  With the current setup, it is not possible to extract this data.  Rich suggested that Ex Libris' ARC (Aleph Reporting Center) might provide possibilities for data extraction and that FCLA might be able to help us address this.

Link checking

Julia reported that it is possible to retrieve a list of Aleph records with links and that records for selected aggregators can be eliminated in advance of producing the list.  The list can be limited to Aleph system number, 245, and 856, but subfields can't be specified.  This means the 856 link in the report includes all subfields, not just subfield u.  Julia, Jimmie, and Lawan plan to meet with Daniel Cromwell and Winston Harris before the April TS Aleph Implementation Group meeting to discuss link checking software alternatives.

New Titles list

Suzy announced that she has created a simple New Titles list based on 2005 imprints in Library West and presented in citation format (see the demo pages at http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/staff/s-shaw/sandbox/).  The list includes cataloged titles as well as titles on order and in process.  Suzy recommended using a TKR to capture cataloged titles, both the newly published and newly acquired, which led to a discussion re. collecting cataloging statistics via a TKR.  

Cataloging statistics

In addition to using a TKR to identify new titles, the group grappled with how the same or a different TKR might be used to collect cataloging statistics.  The following staff volunteered to develop a standard for entering a TKR(s) for a new titles list and cataloging statistics: Doug S., Jimmie, Julia, Cecilia, Suzanne, Jean, and Suzy.  Suzy was asked to facilitate the group.

Record deletion

Betsy announced that the cataloging managers approved staff marking bib records STA DELETED.  The Record Deletion guide has been revised to reflect this change.  The managers are going to be considering changes to the holding deletion policy.  Betsy reported that Lydia said holdings should not be physically deleted for RLIN tapeloading purposes.

Templates

Betsy announced that the cataloging templates on the server were revised.  Each template has a prefix for UF, HC, or LL.  Some default Aleph templates were removed and a new template for creating provisional serials was added.

LCA10 authority file

Priscilla reported that the TSPC Authorities Subcommittee voiced agreement with Mary Ann's plan to load subjects only in Test and Prod initially.  Mary Ann plans to move forward with the load in mid March.  Priscilla pointed out that the load needs to happen before reports can be generated. 

Priscilla said that she, Nancy, and Gerald have discussed possible workarounds due to the length of time it is taking to bring LCA10 up-to-date, including reviewing the Library of Congress Subject Headings Weekly Lists for changes, deletions, and additions.  Mary Ann and others are investigating the use of GenLoad to generate reports to support authority maintenance activities.

Per Cecilia, FCLA has not given a timeframe for loading MESH headings.

Martha asked if the Authorities Subcommittee had received a response from FCLA yet to the report the Subcommittee submitted at the TSPC meeting on January 7, 2005.  Priscilla responded that there has been no response.  Priscilla offered to take this up with the Subcommittee and suggest they urge FCLA to respond by April 13, the date scheduled for the SUL Interest Group meeting at the Florida Library Association Annual Conference.  Priscilla also wondered at what point consideration should be given to outsourcing authority control activities to a vendor.

GenLoad enhancements

Betsy reported that FCLA has made progress with GenLoad enhancements.  According to Gerald, recent changes should lead to a successful load of the microanalytic records.

LTQF migration

With the LCA10 load and GenLoad enhancements at the top of UF's priority list, LTQF migration is not moving forward.

Permissions

Suzy and Rich participated in FCLA's permissions training that took place in late February.  They are meeting March 11 to strategize about permissions implementation and expect to start by configuring permissions for Preservation staff.

Rich said the setup for viewing other SUL data in the client is almost ready for review.  If there are problems, another option is to install other SUL clients on individual computers.

Logical base

Betsy mentioned that Lydia is going to try to schedule the regenning of the serials logical base on March 20.

Rich explained that discussions are underway about how to structure an Online Resources logical base.  The search WUR=http lacks the refinement desired because it retrieves links to tables of contents and publisher sites in addition to full text links.  FCLA is waiting for the criteria to be defined. 

Duplicate HOL

Rich e-mailed FCLA on March 10 to check on the status of the fix to correct the duplicate HOL display in the Web OPAC.  In addition, he asked if it has been determined what other 15.2 rep changes may have been omitted by Ex Libris in 15.5.  Rich will keep the group posted.

Batchloading

Batchloading records through GenLoad has been known to result in indexing delays as well as other problems.  It is hoped that a new Prod server, which FCLA plans to install within the next few months, may improve performance and allow greater numbers of records to be batchloaded at one time.  Gerald pointed out that FCLA has taken other measures to address load limitations, such as creating a filter to suppress URI indexing of selected 856 $u.

Aleph documentation restrictions

Rich reported that restricting access to Aleph-related documentation is under review. 

GLOBAL OWN

Betsy announced that a GLOBAL OWN code has been implemented and is being used for e-databases.  GLOBAL will also be used for the Serials Solutions records.  [Subsequent to the meeting, it was learned that the OWN code PUBLIC should be used instead of GLOBAL.]

Slowdown of workflow

Cathy expressed concern about the slowdown in some workflows after migration.  To a great extent, macros can alleviate this problem.  Julia explained that macro development is ongoing.  She and Jason Fleming are working on a macro suite to aggregate the variety of macros being created.  Jimmie mentioned that Connexion macros might be beneficial as well.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 14, 10:00-11:30am, Library East Conference Room.

 

University of Florida Home Page