University of Florida Home Page Library Management Group
George A. Smathers Libraries Home Page

SEPTEMBER 10, 1998
MINUTES

Members Present: Carol Drum, Carol Turner, Dale Canelas, David Hickey, Dorothy Hope, Erich Kesse, Marcia Pearce, Rob Roberts, Barbara Oliver, Martha Hruska, Rich Bennett, Tom Cetwinski, Frank Di Trolio, Trudi DiTrolio--facilitator, Jan Swanbeck, Bill Covey, Carl VanNess , Gary Cornwell

Members Absent:  Carolyn Henderson Allen



1.    Review of PEP Guidelines
    Tom Cetwinski distributed information about the Professional Excellence Program for Library Faculty. He said that nine librarians are eligible for the award. He has notified them of their eligibility through a memo and an email.

    Gary Cornwell asked Tom to send a list of the eligible librarians to the LMG list.

2.    Review of Hurricane Plan
    Erich Kesse distributed a print copy of the libraries' Natural Disaster and Hurricane Emergency Plan. The plan is actually a compilation of plans designed for each building in the library system. He encouraged everyone to be familiar with the plan and also require new staff members to read it. The plan is designed for a hurricane, which is the disaster most likely to affect the libraries, and as such, the plan assumes that there will be ample time for people to complete disaster preparedness tasks and evacuate the building.

    The Natural Disaster and Hurricane Emergency Plan web page is located at http://karamelik.uflib.ufl.edu/disaster/hurricane/d_nathur.html.

3.    Photocopy Contract
    Barbara Oliver reported that she just had the first quarterly meeting with Xerox and everyone was pleased. The only major complaint was that the card machines would not take Susan B. Anthony dollars. She also reported that three machines were moved off the second floor.
4.    Storage: A review of the LAD policy and an update on where we are in terms ofexisting storage space
    David Hickey distributed information on Limited Access Depository (LAD) and Paged Collection storage usage guidelines. LAD is for the storage of items not frequently used by library patrons.

    He reported that open shelving was 66 percent full. He said if LAD gets 6,500 linear feet of storage materials from Library West, it would give LAD only one and a quarter years of growth in current shelving. Barbara is getting price quotes for additional shelving.

    David also said that Collection Managers need to go through LAD to weed out items that should be withdrawn or brought back to the library, etc. But the collection is now unboxed and organized so it will be easy to do that.

    The Paged Collection is 92 percent empty. It is used for valuable, but not rare items. Dale suggested that we consider using the Paged Collection to store items that have a high theft rate when shelved in the open stacks. There was general agreement that this should be pursued. The Paged Collection can be accessed during the hours that the Smathers reading room is open.

5.    Signage and Security Status
    Rob Roberts reported that a group of signage consultants surveyed the library to assess its needs. The initial report was reviewed and sent back because it was felt that in some areas the report recommended more than was necessary.

    When the report is complete, it will list every location in each library facility, the signs needed, their size, type of sign, the sign messages and any American Disability Act specifications needed. The final proposal will be presented to the directors for funding approval. Library West alone will have 1,753 new signs, including range signs. Library East is a priority because it currently has no signage, not even room numbers.

    If the proposal is approved, the company will complete the project in all public areas and then Library Facilities will take over. The library will purchase the blank signs from the company and do the lettering, hanging, etc.

    Rob also reported that six security companies have been interviewed and five of those have submitted a budget proposal. Each company was given the same proposal, but they were given the freedom to add their own ideas. When all the proposals are in, they will be given to the security committee, which will come up with a standard proposal for companies to bid on.

    Phase I of the security project will outfit the envelopes of the library buildings, while Phase II will take care of the inside of the buildings. Facilities hopes to do a lot of the work in-house. Security devices may include motion detectors, video cameras and card activated doors.

6.    Review of Food Policy
Carol Drum stated that when an ops student was posted at the door of the Marston Science Library to keep students from bringing in food and open beverages, the amount of mess in the library decreased dramatically. The employee was paid out of OPS funds and was discontinued when the funds ran out.

Dale Canales said the policy needs to be observed by the staff before students will obey it. Staff members should not openly carry readily recognizable food or beverages, particularly liquids in open containers into the library. Students see staff doing this and really don't believe we are serious about the "no food or drink" policy.

It was suggested that the staff be encouraged to enforce the policy when they students disregarding it.

The decision was made to have the Public Service Committee discuss the issue and come up with ideas on how to solve the problem.
 

Return to LMG Minutes Archives

Return to LMG Main Page

UF © 1999 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries
P. O. Box 117001  Gainesville, FL 32611-7001 
Please read our disclaimer.
Send comments and/or questions about this site to 
Vicki Fooks

Last Updated May 12, 2000