University of Florida Public Services Division
  UF Libraries Home Page

March 27, 2002


Members Present:   Helen Armstrong, Rich Bennett, Suzanne Brown, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, David Fuller, Alice Primack, Patrick Reakes, Carol Turner

Members Absent:  Pam Cenzer, Lei Lani Freund, Ann Lindell, Richard Phillips, Jana Ronan, Colleen Seale, Robert Singerman, Jan Swanbeck, Carl Van Ness

  1. First Search and ILLiad– David Fuller
    • First Search – Two handouts were distributed. The first handout is what a user currently sees. The second handout is what the user will see on May 6th when we go live. When a request is imported it will match the user’s profile. The user is advised that before they can use First Search they must have an account, a user name, a 14-digit library number, a 200 number, and where the link is for where they need to go.
    • ILLiad – ATLAS sent instructions on how to set ILLiad up to import requests from Web Luis. A handout of ILLiad’s home page was distributed. The content of this page was based upon input received from the PSC committee. A flyer announcing ILLiad was also distributed. David asked the committee to review both documents and forward any suggestions/comment concerning changes that may need to be made.
      • Maps is not listed under request to photocopy. David will add this.
      • Goal is to have electronic delivery ready on May 6th.
      • The version of ILLiad we have now will have to be updated when the new version comes out. The update should not change the look of it for users.
      • David asked for suggestions on how to promote ILLiad. Sessions to demonstrate how to use ILLiad from a public service standpoint are planned in April for library staff. An announcement concerning ILLiad was published in the spring editions of Library News. An updated announcement will be published in the summer edition and a full write up is planned for the fall edition.
      • There will be an ILLiad party in ILL. It will provide an opportunity for staff to stop by the office and see how ILLiad works.
      • Access services will need to know what information public service staff will need to distribute.
      • Rich would like to put an announcement up on the web fairly soon to let users know its coming, what the differences will be, and what the advantages of the new system are.
      • Carol Drum would like to take information with her to the IFAS Centers on April 10th-12th.
      • We will still be able to get paper copy replacements.
      • Systems has created a system that can scan faxed or mailed material and save them as a PDF file.

  2. One City One Story – Alice Primack
    One City One Story - This program is ending. There was a display in Library West that was designed by Colleen Seale and Barbara Hood. There was an ad in last Tuesday’s Gainesville Sun community service pages about the display and web page.

  3. New Eureka Interface, Data Base Locator Page, Public Workstation Log on/off, Serial Solutions - Rich Bennett
    • New Eureka Interface – There is a new interface coming for the Eureka System that appears to be better for users. Currently, on our pages users can link to the old or new interface until the end of April.
    • Data Base Locator Page – Please take a look at the data base locator page. At the top of the page there is a link to preview a new data base locator page. What you will view is the result of a good deal of work that has been done to code databases for retrieval with more subjects. The design will enable users that don’t know where to get started to use this system more independently. Subjects that are not listed can easily be added as long as someone takes the responsibility for selecting the appropriate database. It will also help situations where staff may be working a reference desk in science and a patron asks a humanities question. It will also help RefeXpress staff that run into the same type of situations. Marilyn Ochoa was assigned to become familiar with all the databases. We may discover that we need to add or remove databases however this is a good start.
    • Public Workstation Log on/off – It has been observed that when patrons are done with a session they will simply close open windows and not follow up with clicking the log off button. We are trying to come up with a way for the button to be larger, with more text. Rich will send a message asking for feedback about how a statement should read to remind patrons to log off. Then we can take it to systems and ask if they can do it. The workstations do not currently log off from inactivity. Carol Drum reported that the log off button has been disappearing from the workstations in MSL. Rich said staff should remember to double click or right click the icon in lower right hand screen to log off.
    • Serial Solutions – Received update approximately a week ago. The links within Serial Solutions have been enhanced. For example, if you look to EBSCO Host we have no way to link to Academic Search Premier directly. With the original Serial Solutions we could go to a page that listed in reverse chronological order the full text articles from a particular journal. Now when we go to something in Academic Search Premier, Scientific American for example, we go to a page that actually has a table of contents structure. If you want to go to the former view you can. Another example is Lexis-Nexis, now you can go to a screen where you can browse a list of titles or can put in a title to get to a search screen. Serial Solutions continues to work with vendors to provide these types of links. The search function itself is still problematic.

      Lori Driscoll suggested getting the staff together that do electronic reserves and teach them to use this system.

      Rich suggested that Serial Solutions information be included in the UCET session on planning for course reserves because there are a lot of full text articles that can be linked to directly. To the extent that we can get faculty and other instructors to identify those is all the better for their students. It also relieves the burden for staff to identify those.

  4. 5 Star Service Goal There have been some discussions in PSSC referencing the 5 Star Service goals. Carol T. thinks it would be useful for PSC to discuss service. What is the best way to proceed and involve all staff given that the goal is broad, difficult to attain, and subject to a lot of interpretation. There is a group working on implementing the whole balanced score card that Steve is leading and Lori is a participant in. They are looking at how to monitor what we are doing. The work of implementing the definition of what service is and getting staff involved will fall to Public Services. Several things on the list involve measuring our service through The LibQual + Survey results. We have done a lot of work on service delivery in the past resulting in the Risc Committee developing a vision statement and guidelines for performance standards. Two questions that were brought up in PSSC are: “How are we using those?” and “Is it useful to discuss those instead of reinventing the wheel?” There have also been questions concerning how we will maintain what 5 Star Service means in our environment given that we are facing a new LMS, renovation, and a new addition to Library West. How do we get staff to view this as their own goal without putting more stress on them? How do we turn this into something that is meaningful to people and will result in quality service for our users? We have discussed holding an open meeting with all public services and people who work at public service points to enable discussion in large and perhaps small groups about what we are doing well, what are areas where we would like to see some attention, and what are ideas that people have to help us achieve real quality service. Summer A is usually slow so perhaps this is a good time for a meeting. Anyone interested in helping with the meeting should contact Carol T.

    Carol D. - In large meetings a lot of people won’t talk. It might be a good idea to have a large group introduction and then break off into small groups. Perhaps it could be structured like the initial meeting. It should be in the afternoon on a Tuesday – Thursday. Staff appear to buy into 5 Star Service goals more than other goals in the past.

    Helen Armstrong - Please try to hold when her staff could attend.

    Patrick Reakes – Using the guidelines for performance standards may be a good place to start.

    Its important to set a positive tone for the meeting. Part of the focus should be on what is working and what we are doing well. Such as, going to the shelf with a patron and looking up the call number before going to the shelf or directing the patron where to go.

    Rich Bennett – There is also a need to try to affect attitudes about providing excellent service, being excellent, and treating patrons the way you want to be treated yourself. These are not necessarily things that can be quantified.

  5. Other
    Helen Armstrong – Maps now has a color printer.

    Gary Cornwell – Auto complete is set on the computers. This means that if you type in a URL and then you log off that the history is cleared however auto complete remembers this information and stores it in the registry. This information is not only from the previous user, it’s all the users combined. The only way to stop this from occurring is to clear the registry by logging off of WUSER, MSL user, etc. Logging off is also the only way that some updates will run therefore leaving computers on all the time without logging off is not good. Perhaps LeiLani’s group should come up with a policy in conjunction with Systems about logging off.

Return to PSC 2002 Minutes Main Page

Public Services Council Home Page

UF © 1999 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries
P. O. Box 117001
Gainesville, FL 32611-7001 
Please read our disclaimer.
Send comments and/or questions about this site to Carol Drum
Last Updated October 07, 2002